Sunday, October 17, 2010

soccer

I have always wanted to be a soccer mom.
Kyle is finally old enough to sign him up to be on the YMCA 3 year olds/4 year olds soccer team.
I pictured....cold, crisp fall mornings, coffee in hand, watching my little guy score a goal or two, bringing juice boxes, orange slices, and granola bars for the kids after the game....etc.
Well.....
The weeks building up to the first day of soccer we got the uniform, the shin guards, the soccer cleats (shoes) and we practiced at home and talked alot about it.
You see, Kyle does not like new things. New situations. So there was some anxiety about soccer. I fully expected the first day to be a disaster. And, oh boy, was it a DISASTER.
Did I mention, most Saturday mornings Troy has Cross Country so I have to go solo and bring my 11 month old baby (who normally naps at that time)
Anyways, the first day Kyle refused to wear the uniform, the shoes, and most of all...the shin guards. He freaked out. When we got to the field he threw a HUGE CRYING FIT and I had to carry him over to where the rest of his team was. Many parents were looking at me as if I was torturing my son. It was very embarrassing. Thankfully, my neighbor was there to help with Kaden and also helped with Kyle and his crying. Kyle spent most of that soccer game crying in the van. So we tried again the next week.
This time my friend watched Kaden so I could focus on Kyle during his soccer anxiety. He made progress. He wore the uniform, the shoes, the shin guards. He even stood on the side lines and watched his friends play the game. He did not want to play or participate at all but I was proud that he was doing better than the week before.
The third week I had high hopes that he would go out there and play. Daddy even got to come since his cross country match was in the evening. Kyle walked out on the field and watched the kids practice but would not play at all.
It was frustrating.
Troy even suggested that we quit. But I wanted to keep trying and see what happened.
The fourth week of soccer...like magic....Kyle went out on the field as if he never had any issues. He kicked the ball, he ran, he scored lots of goals, he high fived his teammates...it was wonderful! We were so proud.
From then on.....we had a soccer player. He loved it!
I love the way he looks over at me when he scores a goal waiting for me to give him a thumbs up and a smile :) It is adorable. Now the season has come to an end. He only got to play in 3 games but I am so proud of him for the progress he made this season!
Hopefully, next year, he will get out there with confidence the first week and remember all the fun he had in 2010!



Kyle and Greyson proudly showing their medals the last day of soccer



Aspiring soccer player



sitting on a ball is the best place to watch a soccer game




a cold, foggy morning. lining up for drills


Kyle got a "coffee" treat (Hot Cocoa with whipped cream) for all of his hard work!


Kyle's # 1 Fan....on a wet soccer afternoon



Buddies.



Kick, Pass, Score!


Guard that Goal!

Way to Go Kyle! We are so proud of you!

2 comments:

sara said...

what a great post, Christy! Way to stick it out too... your a super mom :)

Sarah said...

I see you didn't mention YOU crying when he made a goal.
haha.